Today I want to share with you a recipe and a new, low stress dinner option available in the Eau Claire, Wisconsin area.
As a busy home school mom, wife, business owner, I’m always on the go, all while trying to heal from Lyme Disease + co infections. Some days, I have to scrape up energy to go grocery shopping, meal planning and to cook for my family. I’m sure many of you can relate with this.
Recently, a locally owned food co op , downtown Eau Claire, started a new meal kit option, currently available on Thursdays. They do the meal planning, they do the shopping, you walk into the store, grab your food and recipe, nicely tucked into a little paper bag, pay (of course) and head home and cook your family a delicious dinner!
This past week, I saw a recipe pop up on Just Local Food’s Facebook page, that I couldn’t pass up! The colors of this meal just scream ‘Spring is here!’ , that and who doesn’t love a sandwich wrap?
Here is the recipe: (You can also find the recipe available on their website, here.
1 lb ‘BCR’ chicken breast cooked and sliced
4 ‘Stacey’s’ organic large tortillas
1/2 tsp organic garlic powder
4 cups organic spinach
1 lb organic strawberries. Stems removed, washed and sliced. Reserve 8 strawberries to garnish plates.
1/4 cup feta, crumbled.
1/4 cup cashews, chopped. (I chose not to chop mine, but you certainly can)
‘Elder Valley Farm’ balsamic and basil dressing.
- .Season chicken breast with garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. (I use pink Himalayan salt, not white table salt) .
- In a medium sized skillet, heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. Cook thoroughly, about 7 minutes on each side. Once chicken is cooked, place on plate and set aside.
- Warm the tortillas, and set on a flat surface for filling.
- Divide the spinach evenly for four wraps. (In my photo shown, I didn’t do as much spinach in some wraps as I did in others, it just depends on what your family likes!)
- Slice the chicken.
- Fill the wraps with spinach, sliced chicken, strawberry slices, cashews , feta, and top each wrap before folding, with balsamic dressing.
- Plate your wraps and garnish with extra strawberries.
My extra tips:
Thaw your chicken in the fridge ahead of time, so it is ready to go.
While chicken is cooking, wash and slice strawberries.
Don’t forget the feta! (I put mine in the fridge, and realized I forgot it half way through eating my wrap. Ahh! )
I also am working on making sure my family has plenty of fruits and vegetables during their day, so I threw together a quick tossed salad for a side. I chopped up spinach, apples, strawberries, carrots, cucumbers, green peppers, topped with a home made vinaigrette and sprinkled the extra feta on top.
Kombucha also went great with this meal. Doesn’t it go great with any meal?
Here are a few of my steps in photos.
Step 1 & 2
While the chicken was cooking, I chopped the strawberries.
Plated and ready to serve!
So there you have it! If you live locally to the Eau Claire, Wisconsin area, I suggest you check out this new Meal Kit program offered by Just Local Food! They post their meal every Thursday on Facebook (see above link). If you do not live local, you can still make this wonderful recipe by finding similar ingredients at your local food co op! This will be a new family favorite for us!
If you try the recipe, leave a comment and let me know what you thought!
Have a wonderful day. My ‘technology time’ is up, time to get outside and enjoy this glorious weather we are having!
As always, you can follow along with my latest DIY projects and more over on Facebook!
Get outside! Go for a hike! Enjoy this day!